Thursday, March 6, 2008

in memory, we emerge from the fear and the tears

It was Eve.

It wasn't just anyone, it was Eve.

Eve Carson was our student body president this year and yesterday morning around 5am, a 911 call alerted the police to her body at a community not far off campus. She was lying in the intersection, shot. She was identified this morning at the hospital and her name was released to the public at 12:30 this afternoon at a press conference.

No one knows if it was a random incident or if she was targeted. All we know right now is that she was murdered.

I didn't even know Eve. I've never met her. But I've passed h on campus, I've seen her picture in our campus newspaper; I knew people who knew her, I knew her policies and her friendliness through other people. She was real to me, to the entire campus and city of Chapel Hill.

This time, the shooting victim wasn't just a twenty-something college female. This time it was Eve--Eve, who was someone to everyone. Her death doesn't just affect her family and her friends and the people who knew her. Her death affects the entire UNC campus and the city of Chapel Hill because she was such a public figure, so engaged.

This is the closest death has ever struck for me and it's terrifying. It's incomprehensible and unfair and random and frightening. In the March (again, March) of my freshman year, a crazed graduate student drove his car across the most crowded area of campus during lunchtime and hit five or six people. About nine people were injured but hundreds were left shaking, afraid. Sarah was almost hit that day. She was terrified; I was terrified--but no one died then.

This brings home to me how truly tragic the shooting last April at Virginia Tech must have been. Multiple this feeling of shock, loss, fear by thirty-three.

For me, just one--just this one--is enough to bring tears to my eyes.

It was Eve.

No comments: