Monday, July 23, 2012

gonna live life 'til we're dead

S came down from Boston to visit this weekend. \o/ Picked her up at Union Station on Saturday morning and we had coffee/food and wandered the mall there a bit, then walked down to Chinatown in search of the promised coffee haven of glory and national-recognition-receiving baristas. What we found was the hipsterest of hipster coffeeshops, aptly named Chinatown Coffee. I will admit the cafe mocha I had was good, but I'm not sure it was worth how much I paid for it. Maybe I am just not cut out to be a hipster snob about coffee; my soul is too frugal.

We actually then ran into A and J and their friend, who were up from NC for the weekend and whom we were meeting for lunch anyway. A and S acquired bubble tea and then we traipsed a whole half a block (Chinatown, DC is all of one block) to Matchbox, the famed pizza place everyone and their mother says you must try. To be fair, the pizza was pretty darn good. I enjoyed that it was on a crust so thin as to almost be nonexistent because I hate unnecessary bread and Chicago deep dish is the stuff of my pizza nightmares. If I had nightmares about pizza, anyway; usually dreams involving food are good ones. And then sometimes I have dreams about going to Backstreet Boys fansignings, like I did last night, apropos of nothing, but I digress...

Post-lunch, S and I watched The Dark Knight Rises! I will not spoil, but suffice to say it's hard to sympathize with the main character when Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne elicits nothing so much as apathy from me, but everyone else was great! T-HARD was fantastic. Anne Hathaway was a lot of fun. JGL impressed me. Gary Oldman is always Gary Oldman, meaning excellent. Marion Cotillard was also great, though I was thinking "Inception reunion" the entire time. Michael Caine had a much briefer appearance than I expected, as did Morgan Freeman. But Tom Hardy! Did I mention Tom Hardy? Plot was questionable but entertaining, and the ending made me really happy. Because I am baised. :)

It was raining after so we ducked into a Starbucks, where I randomly came across J from Duke KDPhi Alphas. O: Unexpected pleasure! I did love the Alphas and J has always been great. So S and I sat with her and her friend and we chatted and caught up a bit. She's living in Rockville and going to law school in NYC in the fall, and I extended all my dubious congrats and well-wishing and preemptive sympathies.

Quick dinner and then S and I headed up to V apartment for her housewarming/housecooling, though with the rain, it was cool enough. So I suppose that counts as mission accomplished! We met her other fannish friends, had lots of food and drinks, talked fandom and generally had a terribly good time. We played Cards Against Humanity, which is like Apples to Apples but for terrible people. The cards were more in line of "War! What is it good for?" Submissions included "Team building exercises" and "Genghis Khan". The winning card: "Inappropriately timed Holocaust jokes."

My last drink had too much vodka in it, which I was not sober enough to realize, so I actually ended my night sort of miserable and throwing up in V's bathroom. Oops. I thought I'd put those poor life decisions behind me in law school, but apparently this whole growing up and making smart decisions things is something I still need to work on. S and V were both great though. Soooo grateful for knowing awesome people. V actually let us crash at hers for the night, so I got to do a walk of shame the next morning, except my shame was mostly at my poor drinking decisions and not a one-night stand, but I suppose in the end all walks of shame = shame for poor life decisions.

On the bright side, I wasn't particularly hungover because I'd gotten most of the alcohol out of me the night before! Still, I realized too much greasy food was not good when I went to brunch and only managed to eat half my Eggs Michael (like Eggs Benedict but with sausage patties instead of Canadian bacon) before feeling a bit queasy. I had my coffee instead. But I did survive and spent the afternoon watching Running Man episodes with S - until she dozed off into a nap. Naps trump everything, though; fair enough!

We grabbed some really great Thai food (including tom yum soup and mango-sticky rice dessert!) before I sent her off to the metro so she could get back to Union Station and catch her bus back up to Boston. Then I went home, cleaned, and passed out because, meh, life.

Apparently I am just in that state of mind where I am like meh, everything. The tired apathy is strong with me this week. Stuff I need to do: so much car stuff. Effort it requires: a whole of a damn lot.

Anyway, going to make my to-do lists so I can make sure I'm not forgetting anything and feel satisfied when I get to check things off. Thing I should add to this list: eat.

No comments: