Thursday, November 29, 2007

season's greetings

Today I realized that I am far less enthused about the holiday season this year than in previous years. I had a taste of the spirit during Thanksgiving break, especially Black Friday shopping, with the entire mall festooned in Christmas decorations, each store blasting holiday music as the food shops promoted seasonal goodies like gingerbread--but other than that brief foray into the holiday spirit, I've been sadly unexcited about Christmas. I have hardly listened to my Christmas playlist at all.

Possibly this has to do with the fact that I really just can't afford many presents this year, what with the crazy financial demands of Project Chonguk and law school. And there's that, too--law school. It's difficult to be swept away by the season when a priority worry is polishing and completing the applications to law school. The weight of responsibility, obligation, duty, and the like tend to drag down my typical holiday buoyancy.

Well, there's always after exams. (But isn't everything always after exams?) I'll give it a shot then, and may the season be filled with chocolate and peppermint, holly and jingle bells, and lots of Christmas cards.

I won't ask for snow, though, because there are lines of reality you just can't cross, even in the holiday season. Oh, North Carolina and its brown-gray-blue Christmases.

Better than no Christmas at all, at least.

No comments: