Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Writing down your life

It's said that a writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people (Thomas Mann), but as a writer you tend to think--hope--that whether or not it is more difficult, it is still something you are good at, perhaps even better at than most people.

So when you take a first-year level class that consists of a lot of paper-writing, it comes as a blow to receive back a low grade on an essay. You stare at the grade, at the bleeding red numbers, and you wonder, What happened? You're a writer, aren't you? Everyone's said so. You've heard the litany for years from your parents, your English teachers, your friends--strangers, even: you have a talent for shaping words. This is why you're a humanities major, after all. You know you've no talent for science and math, that your brain just doesn't process the numbers and formulas and logistics the way that's expected for those fields of study, and you're quite content with being able to focus on the stylistics of a pretty turn of phrase or the semantics of word usage. Your roommate pities you for your endless papers, but you'd prefer them any day over her lab reports or Chemistry tests.

But that grade. That low, low grade. What does it mean? The more you stare at it, the more it undermines your own confidence as a writer. Maybe you were never as good as you thought you were. Maybe you were never good. And maybe a part of you knew that all along.

Isn't that why you never ventured to take an Intro to Fiction-Writing class? Or why you never committed yourself to NaNoWriMo, despite all your talk about it? You've read your friends' writings, their short, original stories. You recognize their talent--a wealth of originality and clever turns of phrase you could never manage. You recognize the strength in their writing, the depth, the capacity to integrate a cohesive theme and provoke thought or feeling.

Your fiction has always felt flat in comparison; you have very few pieces you are genuinely proud of, and of those, you still nitpick, you still compare and fall short. Your weaknesses gape wide under your eyes, permanent black marks against every attempt to improve. You wish you knew how to improve, how to write like those authors you read, but the task seems so monumental that most of the time you despair. Sometimes you think you have it inside you, that ability to craft words and mood and theme. You can feel it rising within you, struggling to burst out onto the page, into sentences, paragraphs, a roller-coaster of emotion that pulls the reader along. But there's a stop-gap between your mind, where the creativity is roiling, ever epic, and your fingers, which seem unable to output what might have been brilliance.

This is why you fear taking an actual writing class. You're afraid of feedback, of critique, not because you expect yourself to be perfect and for your writing to amaze all who read it--but because you're afraid that it will amaze no one. You're afraid that the class will confirm that deep-down fear that you are not the writer you think you are, that you are not a writer at all.

Maybe it's already been confirmed, though. Maybe that's what this low grade is--proof of what you've always feared: that you are incapable of excelling in anything, forever mediocre in everything. A slideshow flashes through your mind, rapidfire, images of piano and violin, of cultural dance and modern dance, of sports you never played and clubs you never joined. Wasted potential.

Excellence does not come easy, you know, nor does it come naturally. It takes work. But you feel as though you have worked for your writing; you know you've improved over the years. You can look at your writing from five years ago and compare it to your writing now and say with certainty that you are a better writer now than you were then. But that doesn't mean that you are a good writer now.

The fear sits low in your stomach. That doesn't mean that you are a good writer now.

It's all you've ever wanted, to be able to write. You knew too late you weren't going to be anyone of note in violin, piano, sports, or dance. Your regrets are endless, but you thought it might be all right as long as you could write. That was still something. Something to make you noticable, special, worthy.

But maybe you aren't a good writer. Maybe you don't even have that.

You try to tell yourself that it's just one grade, that all it indicates is that you didn't try hard enough on that paper, that you didn't give the professor what he wanted. It's a matter of failure in your effort, not in your ability. You cling to that fleeting excuse like a lifesaver in your river of denial; it might be true. It might save you from a life of being unremarkable, unnoticeable, and untalented--and you need that belief to keep going. The alternative is incomprehendable.

You don't know what you would do if you couldn't write. What would you have then?

The physical ache of not having written for weeks, not having written properly and giving some release to the pressing demands of creativity (you've never doubted that you had muses, but the ability to translate their urges into words has you terrified now), is nothing compared to the stomach-dropping, breathless fear that consumes you when you consider even the possibility of not being able to write.

I'm a writer, you tell yourself.A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is for other people. It's understandable, excusable, acceptable for writing not to come easily.

You look at the grade again. You try not to frantically shift through all your writing for the past five years to prove your own abilities to yourself. You don't know. You don't want to know.

You try to abate the panic. I'm a writer, you whisper. I just need to practice more, think more, plan more, write more. It will be all right. It's only a matter of effort.

You're a writer, because you can't not be.

3 comments:

Insanity Genetic said...

Sometimes I want to grab people by the shoulders and shake them. Not to awake them from
some great trance but to awake them into mine. There are these moments in life where we
feel connections to people, that the odd gaggle of lines that form our day-to-day life
have intersected, briefly, meaningfully, with another person's.

As writers, however, these moments are a great source of fear. When we find out that we
have it, the all-consuming "it" that tells us that meaning lies in words on a page, we
begin to look for this vast thing called quality. We have a strong desire to live lives
of interest, for fear that we'll have nothing to say, for fear that our words will be dull
and no one, not even ourselves, will be able to feel one way or another about those words.

That rejection, the one that comes from others we let into our writing world, be they
teacher, parent, friend, is a suggestion only. When looking for that quality, we try to
make as many as possible as happy with our work as possible. And we think, "well, there
may be some who don't like it, but if it's good the majority will appreciate it." But we
never expect to meet those "some," not in our heart of hearts or even our egos of egos.
We think we've lived long enough that we have all the words we'll ever need or felt all
the feelings that ever need felt to write something truly amazing. We hear of writers and
other artists whose great works came out when they were 19 and we think, nay, we know, we
can do that.

And the fact is that we can. They had no more going for them than we do now. They only
had finite words and finite memories. A friend of mine told me once that I should never
expect to outdo Hemingway or any of the greats, because the odds were against me, because
I didn't live their lives. I didn't have that magical fire in my belly that rolled and
toiled and screamed from every stroke of the pen.

It was, and remains, one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. In my life.
Saying something like that is like a limit, a leash. It's to presume that my forebearers
were these untouchable, God-like entities who, no matter how hard I try, I can never learn
anything from, never amount to, and that ultimately my writing pursuits are a futile
effort to be a tiny, minute and insignificant measure of their quality.

But how will I ever be happy if I think that? Why even start the race if I have convinced
myself I will never finish it? I'm not saying that I'll become the greatest writer in
history, or even one worthy of mention in some long forgotten and unsung book in a local
library. What I am saying is I have to be happy with what I do. If I can't allow myself
that, if I constantly berate myself for falling beneath my expectations, I'll never go
anywhere.

I will become that which I have feared most: someone who lives a life piled high with
regrets. Eternally Sisyphus, my boulder rolling back down the hill towards me. Regrets
for not being "as good" will never heal the wounds in my heart and mind, will never
cleanse my spirit or spur my creativity. It will hold me back.

There are times, likely many, that my work will be rejected, panned, and insulted in
vulgar, sad and painful ways. But writing is like religion, the pen and paper our temple.
They say that those wishing to convert to Judaism are rejected by the rabbi three times,
just to see if they'll come back, if they can take the blow to their beliefs, stomach it,
work through it, turn around and face their demons. These moments are those that try and
test us. The world throws them at us to see if we'll let it roll over us.

But these trials are also to see what we'll learn about ourselves in the process. Why did
I choose this word? What did I mean when I wrote this sentence?

Am I strong enough to still want to be better?

Those who reject our work are not always right, though in everything that people tell us
about our work there will always be a nugget of truth, something for us to understand or
adapt to and accept. If we spend our time worrying about the opinion of the one, we will
never be able to write for the millions, billions, who we hope to read our works someday.
We have to write strong for our soul before we can hope to write strong for other's minds.

I often find myself thinking, "writing is all I have." I don't keep in great shape for
sports, labs and experiments and models and the innerworkings of technology confuse or
bore me. Learning other languages are a trial, I don't always have an eye for business,
on and on and on. But we are imbued with an abundance of opportunities and talent in our
life. We can put it towards anything we want, but we put it towards writing.

And it won't always work, even if we drop the sum total of our existence into it. But
this has been true for every job, every occupation.

So do I give up, because life is hard? Is there a point we reach where the uphill
struggle is just not worth it?

No, because every life and experience has value and meaning, love and passion, sadness and
tragedy. It's the whole point of the thing to find out what we can be happy doing through
all the mess and madness. There's so much good and value in the world, the way that we
feel and learn and do things.

You say that writing is hard now, but will carrying that as a burden, will internalizing
and obsessing over it make it any less so?

It is a matter of effort, a labor of love and time and pain. But you know that no other
occpuation is worth all that effort. I would never consider changing my major to
Chemistry because over the course of my life I have found no special love to invest in it.
I will not bleed for Chemistry. I will bleed for writing.

When we fear something, as we do writing, we can pull ourselves away from it and even
sabotage ourselves in it. I do badly on writing assignments when I don't invest some of
my love for the overall art in each individual effort. There is something for me to love
in every essay prompt, every article, every write-up. But if I just dust it off as if I
could just instinctually excel at it, I'll probably screw it up. Some teachers will see
through my lack of effort, some won't, but I'll know. I'll always know I didn't try.

And in knowing, I can do something to change my station in life. The one where I don't do
anything about my writing or my future in it, the one where I just resign myself and
decide my life just isn't that interesting. But it always will be, however many times I
throw that into doubt, becuase it will happen, there will always be something in writing
worth picking myself up off the floor for. Something new to learn or to say. Something.

The only thing I have to fear now is a day where I cannot carry such hope with me, for
hope is all I have.

I hope you can find some of that for yourself, if you have not already, because I believe
my faith in my self will see me through the many trials I have ahead of me in this bizarre
and risky profession of mine.

Insanity Genetic said...

Of course, I say all that and forget the one thing that had gotten me to write the post in the first place. Mei, believe it or not, that post of yours already proves you to be a far more competent writer than you give yourself credit for. You've found your voice, you have wit and insight and innocence all while bearing the length and breadth of your feelings. Do you know how many writers claw and reach to find one clear, concise voice to write in? It's a rare talent to already have yours, trust me.

firefoot said...

...this kinda just pinged me in all the right places, what. I feel like this! all the time! And then you put it into words I could never...put it into. Orz.