Tuesday, April 29, 2008

when the words fall away

I hate everything I write; I especially hate it after reading a particularly good fic or piece of fiction. Nothing I write has a point. There should be themes, interpretation, parallels--something. Something beyond a random slice-of-life; if the slice-of-life is demonstrating a particular sentiment or illustrating a certain point, that's different. But I hate everything I write because nothing I write has a point. I can never find the write words to express the things I'd like to express, or I use pretty language in the shallowest of ways to describe things in a vaguely literary manner--except still without a point. I have too many loose ends and irrelevant details, emotions that escape at the edges and aren't properly directed or reshaped by the end of the story. My humor is contrived and not that funny.

I can't write length and I can't write plot.

What kind of writer am I?

1 comment:

M said...

The kind that worries and compares herself to others? So pretty much a normal writer?

I think if the day comes when we're perfectly fine with what other people do in our field, we're going to be happier and potentially deader than we are now.