Thursday, October 29, 2009

from contemplative to suicidal, in 0.8 seconds

So I have some serious issues about focusing on this Note - a large part of it stems from just not caring, but I still need to put in the work and the time and, oh, the pages. I need the pages. On a productive note, I did laundry yesterday...that's really about it.

These writing urges need to be ignored until I have my required good-faith 45 pages. Man, my work ethic, where has it gone? It's so, so hard to force myself to commit to all this work that I don't care about, don't like, and don't want to pursue after graduation.

But I should still do enough to pass, you know?

Working on a list titled "100 Things I Should've Done Instead of Going to Law School." I should publish this into a book. People like lists! I would pepper this list with wry anecdotes! It would be great. Please publish me and give me lots of money. ):

25. Gone to business school. Gone to med school.
42. Discovered the answer to life, the universe, and everything.
49. Found Waldo.

Somewhere on there I should include something about poetry as well. I spent yesterday morning talking to M and trying to rediscover the soul I had for poetry (law school's killed it). I did really enjoy Pablo Neruda's works (and it was particularly interesting to compare his original Spanish versions with the translated versions), Siegfried Sassoon, and this one sonnet by Edna St. Vincnet Millay. I think a lot of modern art and poetry is crap, and free verse is easy for many people to write, but so, so few write it well. I'm more impressed with pieces like the sonnet, where you follow form and structure and still manage to write something beautiful and creative. Over the centuries, people have managed to figure out what sounds good, okay? Work with that, and make it your own. The same applies to music. (4'33" is four and a half minutes of silence, and is a piece of crap.)

AHHHHHH JUST CHECKED MY EMAIL THIS MORNING SO MUCH IS GOING ON THIS WEEKEND, MOOT COURT ORAL ARGUMENTS MON & TUES I DON'T HAVE TIME TO PREPARE FOR THIS, ALL OF THIS IS FOR ONE FUCKING CREDIT AND FUCKING GLOBAL AHHH. /WRISTS

No comments: