Wednesday, February 24, 2010

let the cycles propel you into a new form of blogging

My life goes in cycles:

I do a period of withdrawing from people and abstaining from chatting, maintaining only email communications (as if they're some level above chats, holier? more individual?), before winding up with a night like tonight where I'm juggling six or seven conversations at once. This time, three mediums: Pidgin, Skype, and Livestream. It's nice to hear people's voices and see their faces sometimes - this is the reality brought to you, the personality that is more than just text and smiley faces.

But I have turned smiley faces into an art form. Do not question my ability to communicate by emoticons alone - especially now that L's linked me to full breadth of the onionhead gifs. They excite me when so little else in life does. How can you not love their exaggerated emotions? I may be overcompensating for my current lack of strong emotional feeling, but let's not throw sticks at that beehive for now. (Am I mixing metaphors? Or just creating my own?)

So recently (by which I mean starting two days ago, but that's recent, right?) I've started listening to Yiruma. I only have his first album right now but it's been on repeat for a while. There's a part of me that longs to pretend I have a soul, what with this whole delving into instrumentals (I am also in love with Acoustic Caf&eaccute;'s Long Long Ago and Last Carnival) and poetry. Neruda, I am going to memorize Soneto VI. So far I've gotten only "En los bosques, perdido..." My Spanish may be a tad rusty. It's like saying my emotional health may be a tad shaky.

Another cycle:

Weeks go without emails in Chinese and today I get two, both of which require me to break out my elite Chinese-typing skills. Thank god for pinyin-input programs like Sogou - what would I do without you? My reading skills are pronouncedly better than my actual writing skills now thanks to the joys of technology. Never let it be said technology does nothing for us!

So I've responded to one and the second will be summarily dealt with tomorrow.

(OT: Why do we accept "dealt" over "dealed" and "slept" over "sleeped" but not "dreamt" over "dreamed" and "leapt" over "leaped"? Freaking American English, why did you need to take an already inconsistent and irregular language and fuck it up some more?)

One last cycle:

Writing. But it always comes to me in cycles. Periods of writing too much and complaining about being tired of it followed by periods of being unable to write and complaining about needing it. Complaining is always a part of the cycle; an integral part, even.

Also, I have rediscovered the Joys of Skype now that my webcam and mic are both in working order. Let's have it! I will make some real time emoticons at you.

No comments: