Tuesday, March 1, 2011

能不能 给我一分钟 安安静静 跟你沟通

My chronicles of the trip through Vietnam and Cambodia are, in short form, chronicled via photos over on Facebook, part one and part two, for those of you who have access. For those that don't, erm, I am in the middle of uploading the pictures to a public gallery on Picasa and will share that later (sans commentary, unfortunately). Later this week I will attempt to write up a more detailed account of the trip, particularly all the thought-provoking bits and maybe some of the funner bits, if I can dredge up some humor from the midst of my exhaustion.

I am leaving for the Philippines next Wednesday, so I need to get the details sorted out. Mostly I need to figure out how to get from the airport into the city proper and then how to meet up with M and D. After the harrows of that first arrival, I should be fine because I'll be with D and traveling. I confess to being somewhat anxious about this trip because (1) traveling alone, (2) the Philippines are, hmm, not exactly the safest place right now, (3) language barrier potentially, and (4) lack of communicative device with either Mel or Danii. I suppose I can always just use my Singaporean phone because better to rack up some international text charges than be lost forever, right?

I'm a little bit sick - sore throat and a light cough. I expected it, to be honest, since I didn't sleep well for most of the trip, traveling in general is exhausting, and both A and L were getting sick by the end of the trip. I might have pulled through if not for the all-nighter with the papers. So tonight I plan on going to sleep in approximately an hour or so and hopefully I won't get worse than this and will be all better soon.

Plans to meet up with S tomorrow, P on Friday, and G this weekend. Potentially also doing lunch with L and A this week, so that is nice. ♥

7 comments:

Sofia said...

lj lurker from the Philippines.:) i suggest you take the yellow cab when you get out of the airport to take you wherever you're staying. the white airport cabs charge really high!

as for the language barrier, most Filipinos know how to speak English, albeit at varying degrees of proficiency, so you'll be fine. it's very easy to buy a local prepaid simcard (around $2 or less) that you can use while you're here.

as for safety, just make sure you're alert with your surroundings and have all your essentials (money, passport etc) attached to your body. lol. hope you have fun here in the PH. how long will you be staying?

♥mei said...

Hi! Thank you for the recs - sadly I think I need to get from Clark Airport to Makati, which is evidently five gazillion miles away, so I'm sort of looking into buses. This reminds me that maybe I should go post and solicit some (any) help. :D

I'll be there 9-13 of March, but only 2 days in Manila itself; the rest in Coron!

Sofia said...

oh, so you're using the Clark airport. yeah, that makes it a little bit trickier. i haven't used that airport yet but i'll ask around, see if friends have any idea how to get you from Clark to Makati. lol

wow, i hear Coron's a good place. haven't been there myself though. shame. ;p

♥mei said...

;A; that would be SO amazing, you don't even know. thank you so much! i am definitely excited about the trip. :D

Sofia said...

hae! all i gathered was there's this bus (not sure if within the airport or you'd still have to go to another terminal) named Philtranco that takes you to Manila. Then from there you'd have to take a cab/bus/train to Makati. cab will probably cost you around $5.

not very helpful. ;~;

♥mei said...

Ahh, I think I have found the same bus! In the end I think I'll be heading from Clark to Megamall, so there should be a direct bus, and then meeting my friend there. Hopefully it should all work out. :) Thank you though! <3

Sofia said...

yeah, i think it disembarks in Megamall. It's raining here in Manila lately so i suggest bring an umbrella too, just in case the rain greets you when you get here. :)

have loads of fun!^^