Sunday, December 2, 2007

lasting impressions at Alpine

Looking around the library, I see students immersed in studying or paper-writing, quiet and mostly focused, and I'm amused by the number of Alpine cups I see. I've probably seen most of these people at Alpine one time or another while at work, but in a different setting, the faces are more difficult to recall.

As I left the Union tonight on my way to Davis Library (the first time I've studied here all semester, I think; I've been in to check out books but I avoid studying here like the plague, and I really have no idea why other than my overwhelming fondness for the Union), a boy held the door open for me. I said, "Thank you!" and he said, "So have you finished your ten-page paper yet?"

I replied cheerfully, "Still working on it!" as I passed him, my response totally belying my bemusement. Who was he? Clearly a frequent customer, one I'd helped and had apparently discussed my ten-page paper with. I had no clear memory of him, but with the hours I work (six days this week), I can hardly be blamed for not keeping the endless stream of customers straight, can I? While I recognize some faces because they're daily or they order the same thing or they have a memorable name or other feature, many others blend together in a blur of "Hey, how are you?" and "That will be $5.21, please," and "Have a great night!"

As there's only one of me (for hours on end almost every night), I'm not surprised that our frequent customers begin to recognize me. I've had a girl say to me before, "How often do you work? Every time I'm here, I see you!" Then there was a guy who asked my co-cashier, "Are you new here? I haven't see you before," and then gestured at me, saying, "I see her all the time." And, now, evidently, there is some Asian boy who remembered me talking about the ten-page paper I had due. It must have been from yesterday because I don't recall having much conversation with anyone during my short covering-someone-else's-ass shift today, and today is clearer in my mind than yesterday, where I spent my morning shift slowly and in a sleep-deprived haze.

I do love Alpine, though, and working there, despite my grumbles of being underappreciated and complaints about stupid customers (you have no idea) and my growing hatred for closing shifts. It's more of a matter of not getting enough sleep and not being awake enough for late-night shifts than the work itself. I love morning shifts best because no matter how little sleep I've gotten the night before, I am always awake in the morning. I'm a morning person and it's disgusting to everyone I know. Yet I love it.

I'm also making a reasonable rate there (though, if asked, I will always believe I should be paid more), which makes for a lovely moment on paydays. It's good to have income and this thought makes me think I should apply for a job over winter break, especially as I'll need as much money as I can to pay for trip tickets and spending money for Project Chonguk. Sometimes I feel so very materialistic.

No comments: