Wednesday, December 19, 2007

it's not easy being a girl

I wonder if I don't sometimes make feminists cry. Why? Well, I wouldn't mind growing up and being someone's housewife, for one. My mom tells me I'd regret it, but I don't think I would. I like being domestic, as strange as it may sound: I like cooking and cleaning and caring for children. Well, to an extent, but to an extent where I'd be willing to stay at home if my husband was okay with it and if he made good money.

I like chivalry too. I think "ladies first" is a wonderful tradition, and I think guys should hold doors open for girls and pay for dates. In return, girls should look pretty and flatter the guy and generally be pleasant company (your sex is a weapon if you know how to use it right). I don't think guys are superior to girls, no, but I think that we're different, and thus we can't be equal in all respects.

Guys have superior physical strength, fact of life. I'm okay with that. I'd like to know how to defend myself and how to change my own tire (though everyone I've told that to has only laughed at me and told me to call AAA instead), but I'm okay with relying on a guy for that too. I can be independent without turning down offers of help, can't I?

I wouldn't mind being rich and powerful by my own right. I wouldn't mind being the adored eye-candy hanging off some hot guy's arm either, really. As long as I was adored, you know. Love puts a different spin on things.

I wonder if this is making some people reconsider what they know of me. I'm not misogynist, I promise, though sometimes I think I'd rather have been a guy. One particular instance of this is: can girls even pop and lock? Am I wasting my time tryiing to master this? Man.

1 comment:

Insanity Genetic said...

Lol, this certainly puts some of our encounters and conversations over the years into some kind of perspective. Not "lol" in a cruel or condescending way, mind you, but sometimes, and I always manage to get strange looks from friends and family for this, I just have to laugh at the realizations that hit me from day-to-day. Every new piece about this world I manage to get a grip on just reminds me why I like the world, my life in it, so very much. Always new and interesting things to fill my day.