Monday, September 8, 2008

rewriting your path



I don't know what you want from me when you come to me with all these unsaid words and unvoiced expectations. I don't know what I can do for you. I think I want to try, but it's so hard when I don't know where to start, when I'm groping blindly in the dark for a handhold or a foothold or the right words. There is no magic phrase to make it all better for you, or for me.

It shouldn't always come back to me, always revolve around me, let me tell you about me, me, me. I don't want to be self-centered, but this is the only way I know how to relate, to empathize. Sympathize? I should know the right words, but I don't.

Did you know that even though I cry over sad things, it's the hopeful things that make me cry harder? When a failing relationship has a chance for redemption, I cry. When a miserable situation sees a sliver of hope, I cry. When broken dreams become stitched whole again, or when something lost is found again, I cry and I cry, because it's so hard to believe in the beauty of lovehopefaith like that, but I want to. And I want something like that. I want the new beginning, the bittersweet second meeting, the last chance gone well at last. Maybe it means I'm still a romantic at heart.

I don't know what I can do for you. Are you like me? Do you understand me? Do we need be on the same level? Do I need to know myself before I can help you?

No comments: