Sunday, December 28, 2008

carolina priceless gem, receive all praises thine

You just finished sending out your college applications and you've already heard back from some places -- you're a finalist for the Morehead scholarship at UNC. That's awesome -- fantastic! Except, of course, you really, really doesn't want to go there.

I wouldn't mind that so much (or really, at all) except that when you talk about how much you don't want to go to UNC, you say it with such...contempt and disgust. I know you can do better. You really want to go to better universities in bigger cities, and with all you've done in your international school, you can probably get in.

There's just something about the way you talk about UNC vs. the other schools that sort of rubs me the wrong way (e.g., NYU is your first choice because it's in "hello, NEW YORK," like NYC is the end all and be all of places to live). Part of it may be that I feel patronized, like you think that I wasn't smart enough to go elsewhere or that I was stupid for choosing to go to UNC, in North Carolina of all places! I admit I have my big-city love (Beijing ♥, Seoul ♥), but I've realized since I moved to St. Louis that NC is actually home for me now, despite all the moving around I did as a kid, and that I love NC.

I love North Carolina, and it really isn't all that horrific a place to live.

You lived here for a good few years too - but I guess you never had the same love for it, since you moved and spent your high school years in S, a very modern city with all the big-city conveniences. I'm sure that's why you're prone to like big cities like NYC. Which is fine. I can understand that. I just wish you didn't treat going to UNC as a last-ditch, absolutely worst-case ew-how-will-I-be-able-to-stand-it option. It's not that bad. Everyone I know who goes there, or went there, loves it.

It ranks pretty high among the national universities; among the public universities, it's in the top five. For value, it's number one. It has the number one basketball team in the country; has a great journalism school and very respectable business and law schools. Its medical school and dental school rank pretty high too. It has a beautiful campus and some great professors, including Nobel Prize winners. It's diverse and active and surrounded by a artsy, interesting, liberal town. Franklin Street will always be legendary. There may not be as many big-city opportunities in Chapel Hill as there would be in New York or DC, but it's the definitive college town experience. Would that be so awful to experience after high school in a big city and a most likely post-graduation job in a big city? Try some diversity on for taste.

Even if it's not for you, could you at least try not to talk about it like you'd die if you had to go? Show a little respect for those of us who went there and loved it.

I will always be glad I went to UNC, no matter where I am now or where I will end up.

So please. 别太小看它.

No comments: