Monday, December 22, 2008

getting to know me

Everyone who knows me well should know the two things that define and shape me as a person, that guide me through my life:

(1) My culture and heritage. I'm Chinese, and it matters. I'm proud of that. No matter how much I love and admire the U.S., no matter how interested I am in Korean or Japanese culture, my family and my roots are in China. It will always--taste like, sound like, feel like--be home.

(2) My family. I want to make my parents proud, and to take care of them when they're older. I always wish I could do more. They've raised me to believe I can always work harder, do better, be more. It can be discouraging at times, but I want to be the best daughter and sister that I can be.

I'd like to think people who know me know this about me; that they acknowledge it, recognize it, appreciate it. I'd like to think they respect me for it.

This is who I am. These are two unchangeable parts of who I am, integral and eternal.

1 comment:

asdfghkl said...

wah thats so true im viet/canto and culture and family define me too they make me who i am todayy, my loud crazy fun self =D