Monday, December 21, 2009

some food for thought

What I Don't Like About Avatar, in summary.

Yes, it's a movie about environmentalism and a warning about materialism, but it's also a movie about imperialism and thus race. Whether it was a conscious decision or not, whether it was epic and visually breathtaking or not, movies are carriers of messages both deliberate and subconscious and they deserve the right to be discussed and criticized.

Moreover, why on earth do we assume all aliens have to be human-shaped with the same kind of inherent values? This bothers me a lot - far more than it bothers other people and I'm not sure why. I'll ruminate on that.

This movie rubs me wrong in so many ways, the above link is only just an introduction into why I'm not sure I can bring myself to see it.

Also, this post. Hello, epic plot-hole.


Caveat: Watch it, enjoy it, like it all you want. Be awed by the special effects. But these issues exist whether or not you want to acknowledge them and they affect MY opinion, which you don't have to agree with. Just don't dismiss either the issues or my opinion, yeah?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

2 eprops

Y said...

HI ^__^ This is Michelle.

I'm taking my brother to see it since I want to introduce him to 3D but it has been said that this movie is really what follows a long line of movies about white guilt. It's about the idealistic race that lives like we want to think Native Americans lived, in the sort of untouched, noble-savage society that never existed.

And then another thing is, why is it that the white guy can not only infiltrate the other side but BE THEIR LEADER? As if they are incapable of mobilizing themselves. But I think that aspect is significant. If Jack Sully had not been the leader and instead of offered them information, he would've been something of a "race traitor" while being the leader for a cause makes him a hero.

So all in all, it's only worth watching for the special effects.