Friday, February 25, 2011

a day at angkor wat

Angkor Wat is gorgeous, impressive, and exhausting to trek through. It is also ridiculously hot and dusty, oh my god. I have lots of pictures though! I will probably be spending my time online trying to write fic and essays instead of uploading them though - at least until I get back. They may be delayed a little bit too then, who knows.

Of note:

- so many Japanese and Korean tourists here! Chinese too. I keep hearing people talk in these various languages I know to varying degrees and it's kind of entertaining - today at Angkor, I listened to the explanation/story of Ramayana in both English and Chinese and was satisfied to discover that they matched up.

- being pale remains a positive/wanted quality in Asian girls by Asian boys, according to some Cambodian boy who chatted me up a bit while I was waiting for the others to get water. "I want a Chinese or Korean or Japanese girlfriend," he said, and I said, "What about a nice Cambodian girl?" But he likes the pretty white skin, he said. So that was, hm, awkward, informative, enlightening, and offensive all at once, I guess. Maybe flattering? Except, dude, I am so brown from the sun, so brown. SUN, WHY MUST YOU BE LIKE THIS.

- must acquire a map before I can write up my travels because I am awful at the names of all these places! We saw Angkor Thom today, so Bayon, Baphoun, and a few other temples, then Angkor Wat. Lots of pictures, as I said.

In other news, seriously I am going to be so fucking broke. I swear my parente budgeted me just enough to pay for housing and eat cheap meals twice a day. Traveling is expensive! Living comfortably and not like I'm on rations in Singapore takes a bit of money too! I'm sorry parents, there will need to be more money borrowed. What's another thousand? /sigh I know SS3 ate up a lot of my money - but that was money I spent mostly before I even got to Singapore... My budget, I am staring at it and I will make it work.

I will go get some juice now and then kill some time until we leave for our dinner/apsara dancing show. o/

No comments: