Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy 2009: reflection on 2008

1. What did you do in 2008 that you'd never done before?
I traveled internationally by myself! I went to Korea! And I suppose things that don't quite count: I graduated college and went to law school. Oh, I also worked in a Chinese restaurant - that was new. Oh, and tried some girly cocktails and like Midori Sour and Fuzzy Navel. :) I think I did lots of new things this year, which is always nice.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
...what were my new years' resolutions? I should, um, go look.

-get into law school (check!)
-figure out and implement a proper study schedule (I guess this worked...)
-call home at least once a week (I'm pretty sure this didn't happen, haha)
-dance (occasionally)
-have a good last semester in college (some parts ended up more stressful than I would've liked, but generally yes)
-learn enough Korean as to not be completely lost in Korea! (not as much as I would've liked, but MY & I weren't completely lost! so this counts as a success)

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. For which I'm grateful.

5. What countries did you visit?
China! Korea! :D

6. What would you like to have in 2009 that you lacked in 2008?
A chance to meet up with CD and LZ and maybe even KZ and SZ (long shot, I think). The first two look plausible though (okay the first one is guaranteed, pretty much). Maybe talk to VS on the phone, if she ever gets one. :) Go to Africa! Ooh, maybe go to Hollywood Bowl? I think I had a pretty good 2008, honestly, but I'd never turn down more opportunities in 2009 for any variety of new things.

7. What date from 2008 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
August 08, 2008 - China's Olympic moment. ♥
November 06, 2008 - TC. :)

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Making it through my first semester of law school without dying. Honestly. And hopefully not failing, either. It was tough at times, especially towards the end of the semester. I had moments of panic and anxiety. Overall, though, it was a learning experience (in more than just the classroom), and the people there (and everywhere) helped. ♥

9. What was your biggest failure?
I-I don't know. Probably my grades. Let me think more on this.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
My archives say I was sick on New Year's Day of 2008, and I think I might've gotten a little sick during my May finals. I've been fine the rest of the year, though! Just occasionally stressed out and sometimes totally exhausted, but no real illness or injury. :)

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Three copies of SJM's album! No, no, just kidding, seriously. Best purchase was probably my adorably tiny Asus EEE PC. :) And my shiny little external harddrive.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
LP, TC, JC, VS, LZ, KT, CM, AH, SC. You've all stood out in my minds for various reasons this past year and I'm grateful. For little things and little moments, for laughter and fun and friendship. For support and love. ♥ Be with me again next year, okay? I will do my best to be there for everyone (above included) too.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Mine, mostly. TC's confused me for a while. And I've had a few moments of sceptical doubt regarding certain people's behaviors, but it hasn't lasted.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Law school. No kidding, you guys? Then rent, food, clothes. Sounds practical, doesn't it? I hope so - I need to be far more careful with money this next semester.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
SJM. ♥ All year long, but especially over the summer. Super Show DVD~ Mostly fandom stuff including recent Big Bang and Wonder Girls performances. Non-fandom stuff, totally the trip to China and Korea with MY. Memories forever!

16. What song(s) will always remind you of 2008?
光荣 by BOBO, lulz. The song that played on repeat as MY & I stood around in the blinding sun for three hours at the BOBO fanmeet. Also, Beijing Welcomes You/北京欢迎你 and, a little bit, SJM's U and ME(迷).

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
i. happier or sadder? Happier, I think. I have a lot to be grateful for this year.
ii. thinner or fatter? Fatter! :D By, like, 3 pounds! This is good news, you guys. One day I will actually break 100lbs for good.
iii. richer or poorer? Ahahaha, so much poorer. Oh loans.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Spend time with MY. :( Talk on the phone with important people. Kept in better touch with ES and others. Spend more time with CS and LY, even. I can't wish that I'd studied more because I studied so much - but I think I'm always going to feel like I could've done more. And I did have fun with people in STL. :) Karaoke + drinking + eating + Rock Band + cooking~!

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Been insecure about stupid things like what goes on with people on LJ.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
Spent Christmas with my family at home in NC, then went to the Zhaos' house for dinner. Watched Prince Caspian there...and oh didn't that lead to all sorts of horrible things. ;D

22. Did you fall in love in 2008?
I may have.

23. How many one-night stands?
None, thanks.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
We-ell, I still don't really watch TV. But what I've caught, I do enjoy Cash Cab and Top Chef. I think I still like Jeopardy better though. :3 I'm a traditionalist sometimes, haha.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Nope.

26. What was the best book you read?
...I had time to read books this year? Well, maybe earlier on in the year. Hmm, oh, probably The King's Own then, just because it was fantastic out of the, like, 6 new books I read this year.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
...does SJM count? Otherwise, I've got nothing for you.

28. What did you want and get?
Graduation! Trip to China & Korea (and seeing MY again)! Random merchandise and clothes there! Er - a new laptop, an external. Calvin & Hobbes books. Friends in STL. ♥

29. What did you want and not get?
Straight As in May. :( Probably didn't get straight As in law school either (let's not joke). Ugh, I'll be happy with the median, please please please.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
...so I have this thing where I don't really watch movies. Did I watch movies? What movies came out this year? Can I say Prince Caspian? I'm, um, going to go ahead and say that.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 21 and I was in STL! I had a dinner with some people from my section at school but we didn't really get to know each other. RM and LP and JZ were there! But I abandoned them to go hang out with CS and LY. Ah, but things worked out.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Straight As. Well, I don't know. Other than that, I don't think I have much to complain about. I don't think there could be any one thing that would have made my life that much better. (Unless maybe going to the May Hollywood Bowl, lol.)

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2008?
Fobby cute on some days and hopeless casual on other days, because it was cold and I was lazy.

34. What kept you sane?
SJM, LP, LZ, TC.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Okay, throughout most of the year, it was Lee Donghae. ♥ Ask me again now and I would have a harder time answering that question. (Also, Skandar Keynes makes me *__*.)

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The Olympics. And that shouldn't have been political. To be honest, I never got that stirred up about the presidential race because I knew Obama was going to win. It was kind of obvious he would, even if it wasn't the landslide it ended up being.

37. Who did you miss?
Family. MY. JC. AY. KT, CW, VP.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Did we meet this year, VS? I guess you count. ♥ You win only because I've known you longer, otherwise I'd have a hard time deciding between, umm, certain others.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2008:
For some reason, people like me. So don't get so wrapped up in my insecurities that I end up pushing them away. Also: remember to keep trying.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:

This is such a retarded question. Like your entire year of experiences, good and bad, can be summed up by a few words? I don't think so.

But here's some good advice:

笑一笑没有什么大不了 just smile and there's nothing you can't overcome
--Rainbow's Smile by Cyndi Wang (Smiling Pasta OST)


Happy New Year! ♥

No comments: