Saturday, April 4, 2009

looking forward into future mine

On a totally unrelated note, I'm so interested in how copyright works. Is Shakespeare public domain now? Does that mean derivative fiction can be published about his works? (The way all those horrible, horrible Jane Austen spin-offs about Mr. Darcy and his diary or what-have-you are now allowed to be put to print.) How does it work in the music industry? Taylor Swift's song Love Story is practically a fic in itself of Romeo and Juliet. It's sweet (and it makes me want to write...), but it's also makes me wonder how copyrights work.

Good thing I'm going to take Copyright Law next semester. :)

I can't decide between taking Internet Law, Trademarks, and International Intellectual Property Law for Spring semester. They're all similar and fascinating, but it all comes down to other factors like what professor teaches it, if I can build a rapport with and gain a reference from that professor, what time the class is, how the class is graded, and what the final's like. I need to go investigate these things.

Signing up for classes in law school is an art. It's not just about taking whatever you need to or think is interesting.

Fortunately, I've pretty much decided what my schedule's going to look like Fall semester: 12 hours + 1 hour journal credit (if I get on one...which I hope I do), which is few enough to allow for the crazy amounts of traveling and interviewing that fall recruiting will entail. No classes on Wednesday or Friday, either, as per my mentor's suggestion - it will also make for an easier time flying out on weekends to interview, since I won't have classes to miss and make up.

Classes for next semester look like: Copyright & Related Rights, International Law, Federal Income Taxation, and Censorship & Free Expression. Good times.

I have to make a note to remember deadlines for bidding on OCIs over the summer. Oh the summer. So many more details to work out, but I'm so excited. I love Beijing! Plus I will get to hang out with T.

The only sad thing about the summer is not getting to see everyone I want to see (for long enough). In particular...M and M. I will make it happen somehow, though.

No comments: