Sunday, April 19, 2009

try for an always sunny forecast

So 1L classes are officially over. All that's left of the year is exams and the write-on, then packing up and storing my things somewhere over the summer. At least my plans to China are set for the summer - it's exciting for sure.

In my excitement and pre-planning, I made a travel blog here. It's really not in operation until after I'm in China, but I like to get a jump on things. If I can get things done ahead of time, I generally like to, because it's a nice feeling to have things settled and out of the way. (I love ticking things off my lists, okay? Stop judging me! Speaking of lists, this site makes me so incredibly happy, especially because it's all basics, no frills, meaning you can't be distracted wasting time making lists instead of just doing whatever needs to be done. Also, having no dates for deadlines is a huge pressure off.)

I'm also a big fan of tables and charts! And calendars! Color-coordinated! Oh wow, I'm such a geek, but it's okay, because it makes me happy.

I was going to write a thoughtful post about parenting and what kind of child I'd like (and ruminations on the kind of parent I might be, or would hope to be), inspired by Yotsuba&! but...really, I'm tired. I'll save that for another time. But being a parent is, I think, both a terrifying and exciting responsibility (and joy).

I suppose I can only hope to do the best I can. For everything in life, really.

Thinking back, both Yotsuba&! and Smiling Pasta had good advice about the attitude to take towards life. Every day is the greatest day. If you believe that, don't let life get you down - make the most out of what you have. Just smile, and there's nothing you can't overcome. There is nothing so awful that you can't have a little faith. It's not to say you're never allowed to be sad, or disappointed, or upset. It's not to say that life isn't just plain unfair sometimes.

But in the end, nothing is so awful that you can't make it through. Life, really, is what you make of it. And that all comes down to the attitude you take.

For me, I guess that just means trying my hardest and hoping for the best, for my future kids, for my future job, for my future at large. For my friendships, my relationships.

I can't wait until exams and write-on are over. Not just to wrap up 1L year, but also because it means something else begins. Something new, different, for a change.

(And clearly the best way to face everything is armed with lists. I am still me, after all.)

No comments: