Thursday, February 12, 2009

i love you only for your looks

Sometimes certain words just look incredibly pretty to me - aesthetically pleasing, if you will. It's the logophile in me.

Today's word of choice: spontaneity.

I really like the way "a" and "e" look together (or near each other) in words, but sometimes it can feel too...fat. Round. Set and sedentary. I don't know how to describe it (okay, I suck as a logophile). "i"s seem slimmer and more graceful, delicate, and the the "ity" sets off the "ane" well, I think. Plus the lower extensions of "p" and "y" set off the higher extension of the "t" - it's well-balanced.

A quick aside: Another gorgeous, gorgeous word is "heechul". Well, it's a name, and it's Korean, but it's not nearly as gorgeous in Korean as it is romanized. (Though I do like the meaning behind the name.) But it has to be kept lowercase, and it looks particularly lovely when the stems of the "h" and the "l" are elongated. It looks good too in calligraphy or cursive, serif or sans serif. I'm such a geek, but I don't care.

kim heechul


I could write a treatise on why this man is singularly amazing, but the breadth of his presence and personality is beyond words. (Why I love him speaks again to my admiration and envy of those who can be so fearlessly themselves, so confident and almost cocky, but with fierce loyalty and depth of care.)

As a note of closure, suet is such a pretty word. It's unfortunate that its meaning is so disgusting. Duet will have to serve as a substitution.

No comments: