Tuesday, March 16, 2010

healthy eating in the works

T and I have taken to bringing sandwiches for lunch when we can because it saves tremendous amounts in food expenses - the problem with that, however, is that one turkey or ham sandwich isn't that filling. In two hours or so, we're hungry again. So we're bringing snack bags of Goldfish crackers and dry cereal or other things as well, which helps but also contributes to my feeling that I'm not eating healthily enough.

So today I thought I'd try to make my sandwich a little more filling. I put on the mustard (djion honey and it adds the perfect kick), lettuce, hickory-smoked ham, and then threw on a some kimchi and a fried egg. The kimchi for flavor because, well, I admit: it's one of my favorite foods and I would be sad to live without it; the egg because it's a lot of protein and is filling. It helped! It was a delicious sandwich and it kept me fuller for a lot longer. I might try to cut up the kimchi into smaller pieces tomorrow though - the bigger pieces made it hard to take bites out of the sandwich. It also got the bread a little soggier than is normal but not to an unbearable amount; I usually make the sandwich around 8:30 and have lunch around 11:30 so it's only a few hours to keep. And it's worth it.

Speaking of food and eating healthier, I really want more seafood in my diet - particularly fish and shrimp. I am endlessly craving shrimp and I can't shut up about it. But I do need more omega-3 in my diet; I definitely see symptoms of its lack. Fish helps a lot with brain power too, especially in focusing; too much coffee is starting to feel gross. Having it every day lessens its effects too. I should default to water (hydration, hydration!) rather than coffee. Tea, even, is a better choice.

Walnuts are also high in omega-3 but, well, I don't really see how they can factor into my diet easily. I eat a decent amount of vegetables, I think, and of tofu and soy, but I definitely need to work on more fish and more fresh fruit. Juice isn't the same because it has so much sugar and the body just doesn't process that the same way it does natural fructose. I am doing (somewhat) better on getting to bed by 1 every night - hoping to actually make it earlier. Sleep is one of the easiest things to give up when it shouldn't be - it is so necessary to a healthy body and mind. It's amazing how good it is for you.

Ginseng and gingko also help with energy and focus but unless I get my mom to send me some through the mail...it's not going to happen. I may look into it the next time I'm at the Chinese market though.

Speaking of which, a new one opened! I should take a look next time I want some milk tea... It'll all hinge on having someone give me a ride though; I really, really hate more than ever the lack of car and associated mobility. The little taste over spring break was only a reminder (a taunt). I could walk around more, I suppose, but it seems so inefficient...

Anyway, the milk tea is freshly made and entirely genuine and utterly delicious. I support this habit: I can, at best, make it weekly.

I am doing my best to keep my spending in line especially recently since I am going to be spending a lot in New York with L&L. Let's be frugal where we can, yeah, Mei?

Now if only I generate this kind of interest in food in my seminar paper. It's killing me slowly, how much I hate writing it. How much I hate writing. Such is law school: sapping all creative energies and destroying all things once found pleasurable.

No comments: