Wednesday, January 19, 2011

cosmic balance decided i'd had it too good lately

Some people are assholes. Some people are idiots. I fall in one or both of the categories, thank you spectacularly terrible morning. The day was saved from continuing in that horrible vein by G, whom I hung out with at Orchard (lunch, Comic Station, Kinokuniya, Starbucks) and the National Museum, where we saw the Pompeii exhibit.

Last night I branched out and met new exchange students, ooh la la. L, whom I'd met already, suggested we do dinner in Chinatown and then hit up the comedy club he'd been recommended in Clark Quay. I thought it would be fun, so I agreed, and met V and T (both Canadians, because NUS is apparently crawling with Canadian exchange students - who knew?). We did a fun dinner game in which each person was sent to buy a dish to share with the group in order to push us all into being more adventurous with our food; it ended well, with many delicious things. Popiah, in particular, I'm a fan of. T's choice of Szechuan wontons was really delicious too.

The comedy club is called Comedy Masala and is a weekly Tuesday night open-mic stand-up at Club Home. Apparently a ton of NUS students came and we formed the largest group Comedy Masala's had since their opening (16 weeks ago). Good crowd. Loud music. Cheap (relatively) drinks. The MC was Pakistani and very funny; the 9 comedians were a range of funny to not so funny (closer to oh-god-embarrassment-squick), all guys. Some Indian, some Singaporean, one Malay, and one well-known white dude to wrap up the night. Overall a pretty fun experience, except it ran late, but L and V wanted food on our way back, so we had prata (which was good), and then it was even later!

Why does no one believe me when I tell them I'm really old inside? Like, a 50-year-old woman who needs to be in bed by a sensible hour and get up early without feeling like she wants to die? I rolled out of bed this morning to finish up student pass stuff, only to be completely tied up in Singapore's affinity for red tape (in triplicate) and my own stupidity. So that was unfun, on top of feeling physically like death. Emotionally not so hot either.

On the bright side, kaya toast with butter is delicious, and G is perfectly lovely. And C looks like she may very well be able to come to Singapore to visit, which I'm thrilled about.

The grimmer news is that I still think some people are assholes (no, I told you, the "no cursing" thing was never going to work out, not even a little bit) and I have so much, so much to do. And my emotional equilibrium has not returned, to say the least.

I love to end on a bright note, yeah? Bright note: good thing my room's only on the fourth floor!

No comments: