Wednesday, January 26, 2011

dancing out on this edge

Monday night was another WashU sponsored dinner, this time at the Asian Civilizations Museum. It was another schmoozing opportunity and I collected a few cards that, honestly speaking, I will probably never use again in my life. Still, an interesting experience. After dinner, A and E and I took the opportunity to stop by the Raffles Hotel where the Singapore Sling was invented and treated ourselves. (Pics on Facebook, as I suppose I shouldn't publicly up pictures of other people without their permission.) Good stuff but oh, pricey indeed.

Tuesday passed in a blur of class (oh angry, impatient, frustrated professor) and nostalgia for Final Fantasy 7. It's a strange nostalgia, considering I've never played the game. Yet I have such love for it - blame Advent Children, I suppose. God, it was gorgeous, and the soundtrack. Oh the soundtrack. I rediscovered my crush on Zack Fair, who to date remains one of my biggest fictional character crushes ever. Do not ask me to explain myself because I'm pretty sure all I could manage would be something along the lines of "alksdghdjf he's just perfect, okay?" (except rendered verbally).

S agrees with me.

S: He is like the most impossibly ideal boyfriend. Minus the dead thing.
Me: :( I AM VERY SELECTIVE ABOUT THE (FICTIONAL) REALITY I LIVE IN.

Today I met up for lunch with (other!) S and (other!) A. We had delicious Hong Kong style dim sum, and milk tea, and milk-and-butter toast, and everything was amazing. I've mentioned how much I love the food here, right? Love it, love it. Then we grabbed coffee and whiled away the afternoon at Starbucks just chatting and being totally ridiculous at each other, much, I'm sure, to the horror of anyone within earshot.

We are all going to the concert on Saturday night! So that should be a lot of fun. C is just about getting on the plane over in New Orleans, ready to fly out here to me and Singapore and the concert. I am looking forward to it. It's going to be an awesome weekend.

And making more travel plans! Got Vietnam & Cambodia settled (end of Feb), looking like Bangkok will be set as well (late April), and now thinking about Taiwan and Indonesia or the Philippines. Indonesia and Taiwan are on the pricier side, so I'm not sure. I'd also like to have travel companions if I went there. The Philippines are cheap! But I need to investigate potential places to stay/people to see... Decisions, decisions. Korea is out, I think. Too pricey, however much I may love it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

just gonna say that taiwan is worth the budget for both indonesia and the philippines :)