Sunday, January 16, 2011

point and counterpoint in the people and places you know

We intended to go on the night safari last night but, alas, weather intervened in the form of a lengthy bout of rain. So instead the crowd (F, A, B, R, R, and I - hey we make a band name! FABRRi, the next biggest pop act) grabbed some dinner and decided to go to Blu Jazz Café to meet up with some of R's friends. But of course there was going to be pre-gaming, so to A's tiny single room we went, collecting along with us E and N. N is a girl. The rest are all boys. Did I mention recently that I seem to have some trouble reaching out and getting to know the exchange girls here? N and I bonded over that a bit! Strange how boys are easier to hang out with, really. But to balance out all this testosterone and crudeness, all the people I already know in Singapore are girls (S, F, G, P) and I spend time with them solo, apart from exchange activities. So it works out well for me, I think.

A put on his laptop speakers and cranked up the music, we broke out the rum and coke, the vodka and tonic, and I got comfortably tipsy. I did keep in mind D's advice from ages ago to never be drunk surrounded only by guys, even if they are supposed to be guy friends, or decent guys, or people you should be able to trust not to take advantage of you. "Should" is such a...loaded word, really. Many people are nothing they "should" be.

We cabbed over to Blu Jazz Café later and had met up with more people, had some more beer, chatted, etc. It was a really nice mild night, breezy and not as humid as usual. The live band was pretty good, the singer was fun, and R and B and I danced a bit inside while the rest hung about our table outside and commenced social interaction. Other R and N had quite a bit of flirtation going on, even though apparently N already has a boyfriend? (And is probably at least three years older than R, but that stops no one these days, am I right?)

I had a good time but we got back late, and I spent some time thinking people were trying to set me up with F, which - vehemently - no thank you. No more Asian boys with misogynistic attitudes, not even ones with a good job at a good NY law firm lined up after graduation. Apparently I am not all that shallow. (Or perhaps I am. He is also not nearly tall enough for my tastes.)

God, other D explained to me that the main reasons guys go on study abroad programs is to 1) drink and 2) hook up. So far, most of these guys have proved him right. A and B being the lovely exceptions. A gets along with everyone, is very laid-back and friendly, and can get rowdy in his own way, but underneath it all he's a really good guy: respectful of women too. He apologized a few times throughout the night that the guys were making hooker jokes, were being crude about wanting to hook up, etc. He can still join in occasionally, but he at least recognizes that such jokes can be and are legitimately offensive. It means a lot. B, also, is a really good guy. Quieter, younger than A, but very interested and willing to try new foods and see new places and not at all here just to drink, party, club, and hook-up. If he wants to meet people, it's to get to know them, not to just get wasted with them, and it's refreshing.

(This is a tough blogpost to write without mentioning names. But I maintain I will keep it this way for now. Pictures on Facebook and, well, you may be able to figure out enough based on the tags.)

So that happened last night. Today, I met up with F for lunch at ION (Singapore's largest mall) and had amazing char siew wonton noodles for lunch (and for only 3.50, which is a positive steal in this Orchard Road pure-touristy-prices mall). We then made our way to Singapore's Botanic Gardens, which were leafy and rich and so, so green. Beautiful, peaceful, and really lovely. A spot of rain almost soaked us but - being prepared - we had our umbrellas. I felt terrible for the people who had spread out under the sun for picnics, only to get drenched with little warning.

The weather cleared up fairly quickly though, and we explored the entire gardens, essentially. It was a really nice break from the Singapore and counterpoint to the more social/people/drinking scene from last night.

Making plans for travel now, contemplating dinner, and weighing how much I want to do class readings versus manga readings. I suspect I know which will win out. I suspect I still need to make that post about my classes and professors. I have not forgotten!

No comments: