Monday, January 17, 2011

i know what it's like to be a fan, trust me

Last night, Liverpool played Everton in the second Merseyside Derby of the season. A and I met up with some undergrad exchange kids from England (one of them is really cute and tall and blond and of course has the accent, but he's, like, 19 and ALSO AN EVERTON FAN /JUDGES FOREVER) to watch the game, but it turns out the bar we planned on going to misled us because they didn't actually have access to the game. So back to our individual dorms to stream the game we went.

So I'm watching the game and on Gchat talking with A about it, and chatting with some other people too. This conversation happens:

MEI: I'm watching football! :D
F: NFL playoff?
MEI: No. I hate the NFL. I meant soccer.
F: Why do you hate America?

What? :( Ffffuuuu.

As I told D, it's not so much that I hate the NFL (I pay attention, sometimes, sporadically and without much investment and in a shallow way - the Rams's QB is cute, seriously) as I love Liverpool and its slogans and songs (and players, yes). Don't you dare think all girls only pay attention to sports for the "hot guys". It may be true for some girls, it may be true for some sports (i.e., me and the NFL), but guys do not have the market cornered on wild and irrational investment in a team and how they do.

Speaking of such, WAY TO DRAW EVERTON, FFS LIVERPOOL. Up at the half, and then letting Everton score 2 within the first ten minutes of the second half, god. Liverpool, sometimes I don't know why I love you. It's a hard question to answer whenever anyone (like the British boy from last night) asks, "Why Liverpool?"

Because I like having my heart broken and my blood pressure through the roof, obviously.

At least I'll never walk alone, despite that.

1 comment:

JJ said...

I watch sports for the cheerleaders. Not sure if that's better or worse... ;)