Wednesday, January 12, 2011

MISSION Shoe Shopping: success!

I spent the day out yesterday with S - Korean food for lunch (두부 찌개, can we talk about how delicious that was? Okay, it was ridiculously delicious, this place made excellent food), and then Marina Square for some shopping. I've been told over and again by Singaporeans (and people who live here) that, "Oh, Singapore's kind of boring, really. All we do is eat and shop." Really? All you do? I don't have a problem at all with this. I feel like could live with eating and snacking and drinking coffee/bubble tea/juice and then walking it all off as I shop around - somehow. I will pull through.

S is a total sweetheart and we had a lot of fun. She's thinking about a Korea trip next month and was perusing winter clothing because, unlike Singapore, Korea actually gets a bit cold during the winter months. I was looking at shoes because there is nothing more I loathe than shoe-shopping in the States, but it is slightly easier in Asia. Even then, I have to tell you, my feet are about a size too small than the smallest size offered. I managed, however, to find two pairs of shoes that were both cute and affordable, so now I have my glitzy flip fops that can withstand all sudden rain showers as per Singapore's norm, and a pair of heels. Because a girl always needs more heels. When she is me and my height anyway.





We chatted the entire afternoon about Singapore and about kpop, which I had left behind, damn it. Yet she is stirring these banked fires of interest once again. I'm not sure if I can resist, especially with an SJM comeback scheduled for this month or so. Not so deeply buried in my heart is this undying love for some of these boys.

That aside, we stopped by a Korean supermarket to stock up on snacks and grabbed dinner at a Japanese fast food place - Yoshinoya, which was pretty good. I didn't feel like KFC. A lot of the Western exchange students have been despairing about eating Asian food every meal, every single day, and have been talking about craving a burger. I suppose I'm lucky enough that I'm accustomed to eating Asian food all the time and it only makes me happy how much variety of Asian food there is available in Singapore. My love for rice and noodles are limitless. Not to say I couldn't do with burger or a waffle or something once in a while, but for the most part I am happy with what I have. (Plus, Western food tends to be far more expensive...)

Today: laundry, Top Chef episode, class reading, class! As you can see, my schedule is fast resembling every other typical, ordinary day back in the States with school in session. I need to start planning these trips out of the country!

1 comment: