Tuesday, January 11, 2011

the little details build a bigger picture

Before I left for Singapore, I had a dentist appointment. The assistant who was charged with taking x-rays exclaimed, "Oh my god, you have such a small mouth!" The sad but true fact is that the first thing that came into my head was, "Well, clearly I am not destined for pro-blowjobs. What a tragedy." I guess the life of a hooker is not for me - at least not a successful one. I also am lacking in the boobage and ass areas, you see.

Though I am feeling slightly better about that in Singapore. Here I am not short! Being as curvy as a stick is not that uncommon either! I am actually about average height, which is shocking. I imagine the international students from Sweden and Holland that I've met here (who are 5'7"+) feel quite the towering giant in crowds, what with their abilities to see over a sea of heads.

This first week was a bit of frantic errand-running and adjustment period, but I think I have more or less settled in. I've got my phone and my bank account, got my student ID and my public transit card. I know how to get to my classes and how to get to the canteen, and I'm all moved into my dorm room. It's a single with a washbasin, which at first I thought was not much since, oh god, sharing a bathroom with a hall - I haven't ever done that. I only lived in the dorms my first year at uni and then we had suites, so we only shared a bathroom between four rooms (eight girs total). Then I moved into apartments where, you know, private bathrooms. Bliss. I'm still not looking forward to communal showers, but I have come to appreciate how helpful it is to have a sink/running water in the room. I can brush my teeth and fall into bed in one fell swoop.

These are the more tedious miscellany of my trip here. I plan on talking more about classes and food and people, too, when I am feeling less lazy. (I never quite stop feeling lazy, see, so I can only await times when the feeling is not as strong as other times.) I was also distracted hunting down and rereading bits of my summer 2009 travel blog detailing my stay in Beijing. I suspect a slightly different go around this time.

No comments: